of Weatherly was founded by Benjamin Romig in 1825 with the
purchase of a 400 acre piece of land. The Borough of Weatherly
was incorporated on October 8,1863. Starting with the timbering
industry and moving forward with the development of the railroad
and transportation of coal; the population of the town grew
dramatically. Other industries were started that employed
vast numbers of the population of the town and surrounding
communities and even one classified as the largest in the
located 12 miles (19 km) northwest of Jim Thorpe and 28 miles (45
km) south of Wilkes Barre. Early in the twentieth century, there
were silk mills, foundries, a candy factory, a fabricating plant,
and a cigar factory. In 1900 2,471 people lived there, and in 1910,
the population was 2,501. The population was 2,525 at the 2010 census.
called "Black Creek", it received a name change to "Weatherly" in
1848. Clock-maker David Weatherly, also an executive of the Beaver
Meadow Railroad, made an agreement with the town that he would build
them a clock if they would rename the town "Weatherly". They changed
the name of the town to Weatherly, however David Weatherly skipped
town without the promised clock.
Eurana Schwab funded the clock that was built into the clock tower
on top of the town's school, but the town kept the name Weatherly.